I wasn’t going to write a blog post about this because I felt like it ruined a little bit of the magic of what my family is doing. I didn’t want to be all “hey look at how good of a person I think I am” because that’s not what it’s about. But in response to yesterday’s events, I thought it might be worth it.
The only way to defeat hate is to overpower it with love and kindness.
And so that was our goal this year. We wanted to count down the days to Christmas this year by simply being nice to the people around us.
We created this card (the idea behind this wasn’t originally ours). I came across it last year as an alternative to an advent calendar. Sometimes I feel like Christmas gets so oversaturated with a ‘gimme gimme’ vibe and we wanted to change things up a little bit with our little man.
We literally just go around, doing something nice for people. So they aren’t completely confused, we include these “You’ve Been Rack’ed” cards. Some of our adventures so far have included:
- taping $0.60 to these cards and putting them under the windshield of the cars outside of my office. It feeds the meter for the 2 hour max on that street.
- buying a $5.00 gift card while in line at the store/gas station and having the cashier give it to the next customer they have.
- paying for the car behind us in line at the drive-thru.
- giving a WVU (go Mounties!!) ornament to a random individual.
- picking, at random, a friend on Facebook and sending them one of the gifts that are offered through their new service.
- having the waitress at our favorite sushi restaurant give out a certificate to one of their guests.
The fun is in the magic of it all. We generally have no contact with the recipients of our good deeds. We have no idea how they react to the simple kindness of others…but it’s so much fun imagining who it was and what they thought.
I know that there are only 10 days left until Christmas Day – but it’s never too late to start. I’ve made the cards available for you to download (here) and print yourself.
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and most of all – Happy Giving!!! Let’s spread a little extra love this season. Some people could really use extra cheer during this time of year.