Every once in a while, I like to go on different websites that host information about weddings, specifically about traditions and superstitions. Here a few that made me giggle:
- An old wives' tale: If the younger of two sisters marries first, the older sister must dance barefoot at the wedding or risk never landing a husband. (Good thing I’m getting married first!! Haha…)
- Ancient Greeks and Romans thought the veil protected the bride from evil spirits. Brides have worn veils ever since.
- In Denmark, brides and grooms traditionally cross-dressed to confuse evil spirits!
- The custom of tiered cakes emerged from a game where the bride and groom attempted to kiss over an ever-higher cake without knocking it over.
- The Roman goddess Juno rules over marriage, the hearth, and childbirth, hence the popularity of June weddings.
- Tie the knot comes from Roman times, when the bride wore a girdle tied in knots that the groom later untied.
Okay…so enough wedding stuff. I know that not everybody is as geeked as I am about all-things-wedding. :)
I am very excited though, because my bridal shower and bachelorette parties are next week!! I can’t wait! I swear it’s not about the presents either, haha. Sierra and two other girls are driving in from Michigan on Thursday and everybody else will be following suit on Friday and Saturday. We’ve rented a cabin at Oglebay for the weekend and somewhere around thirteen girls are going to be partying it up with me that night after the shower. It promises to be a great time!